Lightweight transport chairs are excellent if you need extra mobility for small to medium-length trips. They put less strain on your carer’s body and allow them to push you wherever you need to go. So, how is the Nova 352B Transport Chair different from others?
The Nova Lightweight Transport Chair 352B is a portable and versatile transport wheelchair that performs well outside and indoors. It includes various safety features, including companion brakes and anti-tippers to keep you secure. However, it isn’t the cheapest option and may not be comfortable for tall people or long trips.
This Nova Lightweight Transport Chair review guide examines the transport wheelchair in depth. We consider each factor and feature of the model to see how it differs from the competition. We also help you figure out if it suits your lifestyle and physical needs.
Review of: Nova Lightweight Transport Chair
Please click image for more info
What We Like:
- Easy to maneuver
- Companion hand brakes
- Foot plate and heel loops
- Outdoor terrains
What We Don’t Like:
- A bit pricey
- Too narrow for broader people
Our Conclusion: The Nova Lightweight Transport Chair is a very well-made and reliable model. While not the cheapest option on the market, it has many features that could serve you well.
Specifications of the Nova Lightweight Transport Chair
nova lightweight transport chair
Blue, red, or black
Weight (not including accessories)
19 inches (48.3cm)
12 inches (30.5cm) rear, 8 inches (20.3cm) front
Locking companion brakes
Flip-up and removable
Adjustable and removable
30.75 x 13 x 29 inches (78.1 x 33 x 73.7cm)
Pros and Cons of the Nova Lightweight Transport Chair
There are various advantages and disadvantages to choosing the Nova Lightweight Transport Chair.
- It is lightweight, maneuverable, and folds down into a compact shape for transport.
- It includes wheel locks, a seat belt, and anti-tippers for security while stationary or moving.
- The transport chair has companion hand brakes for better control.
- It includes a storage pouch.
- The flip-up armrests allow you to sit normally at a desk or table.
- The footrests have a footplate and heel loops for greater stability.
- It has a higher than average weight capacity.
- The large back wheels allow it to traverse outdoor terrains.
- It has padding in the armrests and upholstery.
- It is one of the pricier transport wheelchairs on the market.
- The seat may be too narrow for broader people.
- The seat can be uncomfortable for long trips.
- It could be too short for tall people.
- It struggles to move across thick carpet.
Features of the Nova Lightweight Transport Chair
The Nova Lightweight Transport Chair has some comfortable features. It has padded armrests and upholstery to relieve pressure from your arms and spine. It also has footrests that elevate your legs and stop them from dragging.
However, it is not the most comfortable option. The seat is relatively narrow and may squeeze your sides if you have a broad frame. It can also cause discomfort to tall people or if you use it for long trips.
The Nova wheelchair has many excellent safety features. One of the best is the companion brakes, which allow your carer to control the chair without using their strength. They can also lock the wheels for safer transfers.
It has flip-up armrests that you can also totally remove. These allow you to sit normally at a desk or table so you can work or join your family for dinner. They also allow you to transfer to other chairs without accidentally hitting the armrests.
While in motion, a seatbelt and ankle straps stop you from tipping out or your legs dropping. The transport wheelchair also has anti-tippers for extra stability on slopes. Overall, it is a very secure model.
The Nova 352B Transport Chair has limited adjustability. The footrests are the only features that you can change the height of. However, very tall people may struggle to get them low enough to accommodate their legs.
You cannot change the seat’s height or width. Overall, people who are much taller or wider than average may not fit this wheelchair.
The Nova Lightweight Transport Chair is a reasonably durable option. It can support up to 300lb (136.1kg), higher than the average for transport wheelchairs. Its aluminum frame can withstand regular use and is resistant to damage from the elements.
Versatility is one of the strengths of the Nova 352B Transport Chair. It has 12-inch (30.5cm) rear wheels, which allow it to roll over rough surfaces without destabilizing you or your carer. If you need to travel outside on dirt, grass, or other terrains, the wheelchair should be able to handle it.
It also has decent performance inside. The wheelchair is easy to maneuver around tight corners because of its lightweight frame and smaller front wheels. However, it can struggle to roll across thick carpet surfaces.
At just 27.1lb (12.3kg), the Nova wheelchair is relatively lightweight. By removing the footrests and armrests, your carer should be able to lift the device with minimal effort or strain on their body.
It also has a folding down back with a quick release. This feature allows you to compress the transport chair into a small shape for easy transport. If you visit many different places, the Nova chair’s portability could take out some inconveniences.
The Nova Lightweight Transport Chair is available in three different colors: blue, black, and red. It also includes a little storage pouch with pockets. This feature allows you to store your valuables or other small items while in transit.
Video Overview of Nova Lightweight Transport Chair
Who Should Buy the Nova Lightweight Transport Chair?
Someone Who Travels in Different Environments
The Nova Lightweight Transport Chair is portable and versatile. Because of its lightweight and folding frame, you can fit it in a car trunk, public transport, or even an airplane. If you like to travel to many places, this could speed up the process.
It also navigates well inside. The large back wheels can handle bumpy terrains without causing too much discomfort. Therefore, you could use it to attend social events in all kinds of environments.
Someone Who Needs Security and Stability
This transport wheelchair is a very safe choice. It includes many safety features that keep you in the chair and allow your carer to steer more safely. If you are worried about falling, it could be an excellent choice.
Someone Who Is Not Taller or Wider than Average
The Nova Lightweight Transport Chair can be a bit uncomfortable for people who are broad and very tall. It also doesn’t have the highest weight capacity. If you fall within average size parameters, it should be comfortable for your body.
Nova Lightweight Transport Chair Resources
- Product Manual: Nova Transport Chairs 300 Series
- Replacement Parts Site: 1800 Wheelchair Parts for Nova 352 Transport Chair
- Troubleshooting: Nova Customer Care Contact
Nova Lightweight Transport Chair Vs. Drive Medical Poly Fly Lightweight Transport Chair
The Drive Medical Poly Fly Lightweight Transport Chair is another lightweight transport wheelchair with a similar price. So, what makes it different from the Nova Lightweight Transport Chair?
- Comfort: Both transport wheelchairs have a similar comfort level with padded armrests and upholstery.
- Safety features: The Drive Medical wheelchair has locking wheels with handbrakes. However, it does not have companion brakes. If you use it as a transport chair, your carer will have less control over the mobility aid.
- Durability: The Drive Medical Poly Fly has a lower weight capacity of 250lb (113.4kg). Therefore, it is less durable and more limiting for heavier people.
- Adjustability: Both transport wheelchairs have limited adjustability. You can change the footrests’ heights and not much else. They are limiting for people who fall outside the average height ranges.
- Versatility: The Drive Medical chair allows you to attach 24-inch (61cm) wheels and use it as a manual wheelchair. Therefore, it is a much more versatile option if you have the strength to propel yourself from the seat.
- Portability: The Poly Fly is significantly heavier at 37lb (16.8kg). It also folds down, but it is less portable than the Nova Lightweight Transport Chair.
- Extra features: The Drive Medical transport wheelchair is only available in silver. It also does not have transport space.
If you are looking for a transport wheelchair that you can transition into a manual wheelchair, you might like the Drive Medical Poly Fly. However, the Nova Lightweight Transport Chair is a better standalone transport wheelchair.
Nova Lightweight Transport Chair Review Conclusion
In conclusion, the Nova Lightweight Transport Chair 352B is a very portable and safe option. It performs well on bumpy terrains and also has decent handling inside. However, it may be uncomfortable if you are taller than average or sit in it for long periods. This transport wheelchair might suit you if you are looking for security and stability in different environments. It is also highly portable and lightweight. However, it can be limiting for tall and wide people.
NOVA Lightweight Transport Chair (Click image for more info)
Compared to the Drive Medical Poly Fly Lightweight Transport Chair, the Nova Lightweight Transport Chair is a more durable, portable, and secure option. However, the Drive Medical option is more versatile and can be used as a manual wheelchair too.