You’ve just purchased a new shower chair for yourself or someone you are caring for. Now you’re eager to put it to use. Before you can start enjoying your new chair, you need to assemble it. Don’t worry, assembling your shower chair is easy!
This guide will walk you through the process step-by-step so that you’ll be bathing comfortably in no time.
Gather All Shower Chair Parts
To begin, lay out all of the parts of your chair.
You should have:
- The base of the chair
- The backrest
- The arms
- The legs
- Leg extensions
- Screws ( medium and long)
If any of these parts are missing, contact the store where you purchased the chair or the chair’s manufacturer.
Assemble the Base of the Shower Chair
- 1Take the base of the chair and the legs.
- 2Insert the legs into the holes in the base of the chair.
- 3Using the screws, secure the legs to the base of the chair.
- 4Make sure that the legs are screwed in tightly so that the chair is stable.
Assemble the Backrest
- 1Take the backrest and the arms.
- 2Insert the arms into the holes in the backrest.
- 3Using the screws, secure the arms to the backrest.
- 4Make sure that the arms are screwed in tightly so that the backrest is secure.
Assemble the Shower Chair
- 1Take the base of the chair and the backrest.
- 2Line up the holes in the backrest with the holes in the base of the chair.
- 3Using the screws, secure the backrest to the base.
- 4Make sure that the backrest is screwed in tightly so that the chair is secure.
- 5Your shower chair is now assembled and ready to use!
Test Your Shower Chair’s Stability
Once you have assembled your chair, it’s vital to test its stability.
To do this, sit in the chair and try to wiggle it back and forth. The chair should be sturdy and not move at all.
If the chair is not stable, unscrew the legs or backrest and try again. Make sure that all screws are tightened securely.
What To Do If Shower Chair Parts Are Missing or Don’t Fit
If you are missing any parts or if any of the parts don’t seem to fit together correctly, contact the store where you purchased the chair or the chair’s manufacturer.
They should be able to help you troubleshoot the problem and get the parts or information you need.
If you have to install or attach the shower chair to a wall or other surface, be sure the chair is stable and accessible to the person using it.
The person using a shower chair usually has limited mobility, so make sure they have safe entry. Install or place the chair in a spot where someone can comfortably sit from outside the shower or tub.
Install Grab Bars
The first step to installing grab bars is to find studs in the wall.
To do this, use a stud finder or knock on the wall until you find a solid spot. Once you’ve found a stud, mark it with a pencil so you’ll know where to drill.
Grab bars need to be attached to studs in order to be secure, so it’s important to find them before you start drilling.
- 1Measure the area where you will be installing the grab bars.
- 2Use a tape measure to find the studs in the wall and mark them with a pencil.
- 3Drill holes into the studs using a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the screws you will be using.
- 4Insert the screws into the holes and screw them in until they are tight.
- 5Attach the grab bars to the screws.
- 6Make sure the grab bars are secure and not loose before using them.
Make Sure Things Are in Reach
You don’t want someone to overextend their reach while having to use a shower chair. So ensure that all of the person’s showering needs are within arm’s reach, such as soap, shampoo, a washcloth, and a towel.
It’s also a good idea to place a non-slip mat inside the tub or shower so that the person using the chair has something to grip if they need to get up.
When assembling the shower chair, include all of the non-slip pads that came with it. These are important for preventing the chair from slipping on wet surfaces.
Some chair models come with suction cups on the legs for extra stability. If your chair has these, be sure to attach them before using the chair.
Otherwise, you can place non-slip mats under the legs of the chair for extra stability.
Adjust the Chair to Fit Your Needs
Most shower chairs are adjustable to accommodate different heights. Simply raise or lower the legs to the desired height.
Some chairs also have adjustable backrests. To adjust the backrest, you raise or lower it to the desired position.
If you need to store the chair when not in use, some chairs can be folded for easy storage. Refer to your chair’s instructions for more information on how to do this.
Using Your Shower Chair
Now that you have assembled and installed the shower chair, it’s time to start using it!
Here are a few tips for using your shower chair safely and effectively:
- 1Always use the grab bars for support when getting in and out of the chair.
- 2Make sure the shower area is clean and free of slippery soap residue before each use.
- 3Use a non-slip mat inside the tub or shower for extra grip.
- 4Always test the stability of the chair before each use.
- 5When finished showering, dry off the chair and store it in a dry, safe place.
In conclusion, assembling a shower chair is easy and won’t take too long to finish. With a little bit of planning, you can make sure that the shower chair is safe and effective for the person using it.