A wheelchair can be a life-changing device, but it can also be an expensive one. Shopping for a wheelchair on Craigslist is a great way to save money.
However, you want to avoid the scams while getting a great deal. What should you do to make sure you save money, but don’t get scammed on Craigslist?
Here’s how you can get the best deal and avoid scams shopping for used wheelchairs on Craigslist.
Can I Buy A Used Wheelchair On Craigslist?
You can buy a used wheelchair on Craigslist. Craigslist doesn’t have a consistent stock, but is a community website where people in your local area offer goods and services for sale. Wheelchairs, including powered wheelchairs and scooters, are common items for sale on Craigslist.
Craigslist is a great place to find anything used at discount prices. You can even negotiate with the seller for an even better price.
Craigslist is also a great place to find free wheelchairs. People often list unused or older wheelchairs for next to nothing in terms of cost. You often just need to pick up the wheelchair, and you’re good to go!
Types Of Wheelchairs Available On Craigslist
There are countless different types of wheelchair. Knowing which to look for helps you find the right wheelchair on Craigslist.
Let’s go over the different types of wheelchair you can typically find on Craigslist.
- Manual Wheelchair—These are your classic wheelchairs. They rely on being manually pushed either by an assistant or by your own strength. They come in rigid frame or foldable varieties
- Powered Wheelchairs—These wheelchairs have a built-in motor, so you don’t need an assistant to get around. They come in a few varieties including compact and even add on motors for non-powered wheelchairs
- Sports Wheelchairs—These are performance wheelchairs designed for individuals pursuing physical fitness and sports. They tend to be more expensive, but have high-end build quality
You can find any of these wheelchairs on Craigslist, but a few are more common.
Manual wheelchairs are easily the most common. They are also the most affordable. You can even find those for free depending on your local market.
Powered wheelchairs and other varieties are harder to find, but still appear on Craigslist. Always make sure to thoroughly inspect a powered wheelchair for mechanical issues before handing over your cash.
Used Wheelchairs On Craigslist – Tips For Getting The Best Deal
If you’re shopping for a used wheelchair on Craigslist, there are a few tips that you need to make sure that you buy exactly what you need.
Look for Deals
The first tip when shopping for a wheelchair in Craigslist is to look for good deals. You’ll see everyone from local retail stores advertising their products to private individuals looking to sell a wheelchair they no longer use.
Take your time to browse the site and wait a while. New items are always added to Craigslist which means that there’s a good chance that the right wheelchair with the right budget will pop up sooner rather than later.
Inspect Your Wheelchair (Before You Buy)
You want to inspect your wheelchair before you commit to the purchase. Here are a few things to absolutely look for in a matter what kind of wheelchair you’re purchasing.
- Inspect a wheelchair for any obvious signs of damage such as rust, rips and fabric or bent pieces
- Sit in a wheelchair and take it for the proverbial test drive. You want to make sure that this is comfortable for you and a mobility aid that you came regularly use
- Ideally, you should bring a friend that can also check out the wheelchair with you. If you can, bring somebody experience with wheelchair repair
Know When to Walk Away
You also need to know when I walk away from a sale that isn’t going your way.
This could be a buyer who’s not willing to negotiate with you on price, a wheelchair that doesn’t meet the standards that you’re looking for, or just any situation that doesn’t feel right.
You can save yourself a headache by always asking the seller to check out the wheelchair before you buy it. Never commit to a purchase sight unseen, and you always give yourself the option of walking away if the sale doesn’t feel right.
You also want to shop safely. There are some common scams on Craigslist, but if you are aware of them you can safely use this website to get great deals on used wheelchairs.
How To Avoid Wheelchair Scams On Craigslist
There are some common scams that you need to look out for when it comes to Craigslist. Let’s walk through a few of the most common problems that individuals face when using this site and how you can stay safe.
- Your first tip is to never send money ahead of time when making a purchase. This includes mailing a check, using a payment app on your phone, or transferring funds from your bank. Only ever pay for items on Craigslist when you’re going to collect them
- Your next tip is a safety tip from Craigslist itself. Always insist on a public meeting space like a coffee shop, Library, where the lobby of the bank
- Try to bring a friend with you when making a purchase on Craigslist. There’s always more safety in numbers
- If you’re buying or selling a high-value item, be extra cautious. This is especially the case if you’re purchasing an item that’s difficult to transport requires you to go to an individual’s home to make the sale
Other Places To Get A Used Wheelchair
What can you do if you can’t find a used wheelchair on Craigslist? Here are some other websites and physical stores that you can check out.
You have countless options for other websites that sell used wheelchairs.
Goodwill operates an entire used home medical equipment website that you can browse for different types of wheelchairs. You could also try eBay for medical equipment retailers that have used sections on their website.
There are plenty of in-store options for shopping for a used wheelchair.
You can try physical Goodwill stores or check with your local medical equipment shops and disability advocacy groups. If you’re on Medicare, check with your doctor about your options for Medicare covering a wheelchair.
Conclusion—Buying Wheelchairs on Craigslist
Craigslist is a great resource when it comes to shopping for a used wheelchair. You’ll be able to find different styles of wheelchair at some of the most affordable prices out there.
Just remember to bring a friend and shop safe on Craigslist, and you’ll save tons of money getting the mobility equipment you need.