Wheelchairs are helpful devices necessary for many people, including seniors with reduced mobility. However, they can be quite expensive, especially if you are going to use them for short periods. So, if you need a wheelchair for a couple of weeks or months, your best option is to find a reliable rental place.
In today’s complete guide to renting wheelchairs, we help you answer the question “Where can I find wheelchair rentals near me?”. We’ll also tell you all you need to consider before renting a wheelchair, wheelchair van, ramps, and more.
What Types of Wheelchairs Can Be Rented?
Here are the main types of wheelchairs you can rent:
- Power/Electric wheelchair: An electric wheelchair works by using a powerful motor to move and rotate. It could be the perfect option for seniors and for users that have compromised mobility in their upper bodies. However, it is the most expensive wheelchair model for renting or buying.
- Manual wheelchair: Manual wheelchairs are the standard and most affordable models available. They tend to have a solid weight capacity, holding between 250 lbs (113.3 kg) and 300 lbs (136 kg).
- Beach wheelchair: Beach wheelchairs are designed to work on difficult terrains like sand and dirt. They use wider wheels to maneuver across uneven surfaces. However, they are slower than other wheelchair types.
- Bariatric wheelchairs: Bariatric wheelchairs are models with superior weight capacities and better durability. They usually hold between 350 lbs (158.7 kg) and 500 lbs (226.7 kg). They could be the perfect options for overweight and above-average height users.
- Pediatric wheelchairs: Pediatric wheelchairs are specially designed to fit kids under 12 years. They tend to be smaller and include strap belts you can use to secure children to the wheelchairs. As such, they can prevent falls and accidents.
- Transport wheelchair: If you have someone to push you around, a transport wheelchair could be your best option. It tends to be a lot more affordable than a standard wheelchair because it offers fewer features. A transport wheelchair has four equally-sized wheels and a handle.
- Ultra-light wheelchair: Ultra-light wheelchairs are ideal if you plan to use them for commuting or travel. These wheelchair models weigh less than the standard.
Cost of Wheelchair Rental
Depending on the type and model you need, renting a wheelchair can cost you between 10 and 15 USD/day. For instance, manual wheelchairs are the most affordable ones and tend to cost 10 USD per day. On the other hand, you can rent an electric wheelchair for as low as 15 USD a day.
You can also rent the wheelchair weekly or monthly for a more affordable price. Hiring a wheelchair for a week can cost you between 50 and 120 USD, depending on the type and model.
Wheelchair Rental Near Me
You can find wheelchair rentals in most states and major cities around the United States. If you live near Los Angeles, Chicago, or Austin, you won’t have a hard time finding a reliable wheelchair rental.
Here are some of the most popular wheelchair rentals in the country:
You can also check here for a complete list of rentals in the United States.
CVS Wheelchair Rental – How to Rent a Wheelchair From CVS
Unfortunately, as of 2021, CVS does not provide a rental option for wheelchairs, scooters, and other mobility devices. So, if you want a wheelchair from this company, you will have to buy it.
You can do that directly at each CVS store around the United States or order one through its delivery service.
Rite Aid Wheelchair Rental – How to Rent a Wheelchair From Rite Aid
Rite Aid is one of the most reliable providers of home care devices in the country, including wheelchairs and scooters. Sadly, the company only allows you to buy its products, and there’s no way to rent them.
If you decide to buy from Rite Aid, you can find a wide variety of wheelchair models at reasonable prices.
Walgreens Wheelchair Rentals – How to Rent a Wheelchair From Walgreens
Walgreens is another popular home care store you can find all around the United States. It provides everything related to mobility and healthcare accessories, like wheelchairs and power chairs. However, the company does not have a rental service, meaning you can only buy its products.
Walmart Wheelchair Rental – How to Rent a Wheelchair From Walmart
Walmart is one of the most popular online retailers with physical stores in the United States and many other countries. It also provides high-quality home care devices and accessories like wheelchairs, ramps, walkers, and more. Unfortunately, as of today, Walmart does not provide a rental service.
How to Rent a Wheelchair for Free
Medicare can cover 80% of the cost of renting or buying a wheelchair, but only under certain circumstances. The main requirement is the approval of your physician, explaining why a wheelchair is necessary for you. Once you have that, you can use Medicare to rent your new mobility device.
Here are the reasons why a physician can approve wheelchair use:
- If a medical condition prevents you from doing daily activities like going to the bathroom or being in the kitchen.
- If you can operate the wheelchair safely and without it producing pain or discomfort.
Unfortunately, it is not common for Medicare to cover the entire price of buying or renting a wheelchair.
However, there is a possibility to get a free wheelchair from rental places like Cloud of Goods. All you need to do is contact them and explain your situation, and then the company will decide if they can rent the wheelchair for free or not.
The Veteran Affairs Office (VA) also can provide you with a free wheelchair, whether you need it temporarily or for long periods.
Tips for Renting a Wheelchair Locally
What to Consider When Renting a Wheelchair
Here’s what you need to consider when renting a wheelchair:
- Comfort: A wheelchair should have an ergonomic design and provide good support for the lower back and upper back.
- User-friendly design: Another essential aspect to consider is the user-friendly design. The easier it is to use, the more enjoyable the experience will be.
- Price: You should also consider comparing the prices of all available wheelchair rentals to find the best one for you. You can also choose between renting a wheelchair daily, weekly, and monthly.
- Reliable rental: One more thing to keep in mind is how reliable the rental company you choose is. You can use the Google review section to check which rentals offer the best service and quality devices.
- Type: If you are looking to rent a wheelchair for a kid under 12, you should get a pediatric wheelchair specially designed for kids. There are also bariatric models meant for users with above-average weight.
How to Get the Best Deal
The best way to get a good deal when renting a wheelchair is to compare the prices from all competitors. That way, you can choose the rental that offers the best prices. However, keep in mind that the cheaper places tend to be less reliable and offer low-quality devices.
Don’t forget to consider your needs first. An uncomfortable wheelchair can be cheaper to rent, but it won’t be a good investment if you are going to hate using it.
How to Avoid Getting Scammed
To avoid getting scammed when renting a wheelchair, you can start by looking for the most reliable rentals near you. Try to avoid the cheapest places that have no customer reviews or lack professional websites.
You can also check Google reviews for each wheelchair rental. That way, you can see what customers and users are saying.
Wheelchair Van Rental Near Me
Wheelchair vans are the ideal transportation method for wheelchair users. These vans provide a unique mechanism and design that makes the getting in and out process easier and safer.
Here are some of the most reliable wheelchair van rentals in the United States:
Wheelchair van rentals are not as common as wheelchair rentals, but you can still find them in most major counties.
Wheelchair Accessible Car Rentals – How to Rent a Wheelchair Accessible Car
When renting wheelchair-accessible cars, you first need to find a reliable rental that provides high-quality models at reasonable prices. You also have to ensure that the rental offers its services to your area. Once you’ve found the place you want to rent from, you can contact them to reserve a wheelchair-accessible car.
Because it is a niche business, most of these companies prefer you to reserve at least one week in advance. So, it will be challenging to find a rental that will have an available car overnight.
Wheelchair Accessible RV Rentals – How to Rent a Wheelchair Accessible RV
The process of renting a wheelchair-accessible RV is similar to finding a wheelchair van or wheelchair-accessible car. All you need to do is find a reliable rental that offers services in your area or state.
Here’s what you have to do:
- Contact the rental company of your liking.
- Ask what its reservation policy is and how much it costs.
- Ask if they offer delivery services and if the service is included in the price.
With that information, you’ll be able to rent the wheelchair-accessible RV that best fits your needs.
Wheelchair Lift Rental – How to Rent a Wheelchair Lift
Wheelchair lift rentals are not that common because most people prefer to buy these devices. However, there are still some reliable rental companies that offer this service at reasonable prices. You can try to check with AmRamp, which specializes in all types of wheelchair lifts.
Here’s what you have to consider before renting a wheelchair lift:
- Weight capacity: As a rule, you need a model that can hold up more than your weight and the wheelchair’s weight combined.
- Type: You should also keep an eye on the type of wheelchair lift that you need. Wheelchair lifts for homes tend to be more expensive than the models designed for cars.
- Installation service: Installing a wheelchair lift can be challenging even if you have experience with those devices. So, it is better if you find a rental place that provides an installation service.
Wheelchair Ramp Rental – How to Rent a Wheelchair Ramp
Here’s what you have to consider:
- Length: It is essential to find a wheelchair ramp that is the right size for your house or business. One that is too small or too long won’t work, and you’ll need to find a new one.
- Weight capacity: One more vital aspect to consider is the ramp’s weight capacity. A high-quality ramp should hold between 300 lbs (136 kg) and 500 lbs (226.7 kg).
- Surface materials: You should also ensure that the ramp has an anti-skid surface to help prevent accidents.
In conclusion, renting a wheelchair should be your go-to option if you will only use it temporarily. It will allow you to save some money, and most rental places offer high-quality models with good features. You can also rent accessible vans, RVs, SUVs, wheelchair lifts, and wheelchair ramps.
When renting a wheelchair, you should first decide which type is the right one for you. The price you’ll pay daily, weekly, or monthly will depend on the model you choose and its weight capacity. Additionally, ensure that the wheelchair you choose has an ergonomic and user-friendly design.