If you’ve started looking into buying a rollator, you may have noticed that you can choose 3 or 4 wheel options. Carex is one of the most popular brands for mobility aids and offers a variety of models. So what makes their 3 Wheel Walker different from the competition?
The Carex 3 Wheel Walker is a lightweight rollator that allows you to navigate easily in smaller spaces. It works well both inside and outside and allows some adjustability. However, it is unsuitable for people who need to take breaks, rest their weight, or lack side balance.
In this review guide, we examine the specifications, pros, and cons of the Carex 3 Wheel Walker. We discuss who the rollator is suited for and compare it to the competition. Overall, we help you decide if this is the correct choice for you.
Review of: Carex 3 Wheel Walker
Please click image for more info
What We Like:
- Lightweight & Portable
- Light strong aluminum
- Large compartment
- Reasonable mid-range price
- Locking brakes
What We Don’t Like:
- Not suitable for full body support
- Back wheels are broad
Our Conclusion: The Carex 3 Wheels Walker rollator is suitable for people who are looking for extra mobility and portability. It is also reasonably priced and accessible to many.
Specifications of the Carex 3 Wheel Walker
- Color: Navy blue and black
- Material: Aluminium
- Weight: 10 pounds (4.5kg)
- Package dimensions: 22 x 25.5 x 38 inches (55.9 x 64.8 x 96.5cm)
- Height range: Handles from 31.75 to 38 inches (80.6 to 96.5cm)
- Maximum load: 250 pounds (113.4kg)
- Number of wheels: 3
- Wheel size: 7 inches (17.8cm)
Pros & Cons of the Carex 3 Wheel Walker
The Carex 3 Wheel Walker has its upsides and downsides. These are all the factors you need to know:
- The 3 wheel design can maneuver in small spaces.
- It collapses quickly and is exceptionally lightweight for great portability.
- The frame is a light but strong aluminum.
- You can adjust the height of the handles.
- It includes a large storage compartment.
- The walker has a reasonable mid-range price.
- The wheels are large and can navigate outdoor surfaces.
- The handlebars have locking brakes for safe operation.
- The assembly is easy and doesn’t need any tools.
- It does not include a seat to take rests.
- The walker is not suitable for people who need balance on the sides or full-body support.
- The back wheels are broad and may not fit through narrow spaces.
- It has a learning curve for driving the walker.
Features of the Carex 3 Wheel Walker
Unlike most 4 wheel rollators, the Carex 3 Wheel Walker does not have a seat. Therefore, you cannot stop and take a rest as needed. It also does not allow you to rest a lot of your weight on the walker, or it can slip out from under you.
Overall, this model is probably not the best option if you are looking for comfort. It can help you move around more quickly, but it lacks support.
This walker features standard handbrakes, which you can put in a locking position when you are standing still. The brakes are easy to use and can bring the walker to a complete halt.
However, this variety of walker is less safe than a traditional 4 wheel walker. Bear in mind that the frame is less supportive and cannot stabilize you as effectively. It is better suited to people who maintain decent mobility and balance level but need a little assistance.
The frame of the walker is lightweight but durable. It can support up to 250 pounds (113.4kg), which is standard for rollators at this price point.
Its wheels are made of PVC, which can withstand rough and uneven surfaces without damaging the material. You should be able to get at least a few years of use out of this rolling walker.
Where the Carex 3 Wheel Walker excels is its versatility. The 3 wheel design has a superior turning radius and can navigate through narrow corners. If you want to move without impediment and maneuver in tight spaces, it could be an excellent option.
The rollator is durable enough to function both inside and outside. If you like the freedom to explore different terrains, it could be a viable option. However, the frame may be too wide for small doorways.
The Carex 3 Wheel Walker is an incredibly portable option. It is much more lightweight than other rollator models, weighing just 10 pounds (4.5kg). You can also fold it in no time and fit the compact shape behind your seat or in the trunk of your car.
If you are looking for a rollator for travel, it could be a viable option. It is also easy to assemble and disassemble without the need for any tools.
The rollator has a large storage bag attached to the frame. This bag has additional sections that allow you to store your ID and cellphone. This way, you don’t need to wear a backpack or hang bags off the handles.
Video Overview of Carex 3 Wheel Walker
Who Should Buy the Carex 3 Wheel Walker?
People Who Need More Mobility
The Carex rollator allows you to gain more balance and smoother movement when you correctly use the device. By moving along with the rolling walker, you can reduce the likelihood of falling and increase your independence.
People Who Travel Frequently
Because the Carex 3 Wheel Walker has such a lightweight frame and foldable design, it could be an excellent option for travelers. You can lift and store the walker without assistance, and it can fit in small spaces.
If you travel by plane in the US, the Department of Transportation classifies a rollator as an assistive device. Therefore, you can take it into the cabin or store it as checked luggage at no extra cost.
People Who Need to Maneuver in Small Spaces
The design of the walker has two wheels at the rear and one at the front. This setup enables a tight turning circle. If you live in a home with narrow passageways and tight corners, the Carex 3 Wheel Walker could help you navigate the space.
Because the rollator is suitable for both inside and outside, it can maneuver any surface with the same ease.
People Who Are Strong Enough to Support Themselves
Unlike 4 wheel walkers, the 3 wheel options don’t afford as much support. You will need some degree of side balance and strength to safely use this rollator. While you don’t need to be a gym junkie, some abdominal strength will allow you to turn and push the walker.
This rolling walker also does not have a seat. If you can comfortably walk for moderate periods without resting, then it could be a suitable option. However, it isn’t ideal for people who need to sit down and take frequent breaks.
Carex 3 Wheel Walker Vs. NOVA Traveler 3 Wheel Rollator
The Carex 3 Wheel Walker and the NOVA Traveler 3 Wheel Rollator are two popular 3 wheel options. Let’s take a look at how the different models compare:
- Comfort: Neither walker includes a seat or backrest. However, the NOVA walker uses an ergonomic design for its handgrips that is gentler on the wrists and fingers. Therefore, it is a slightly more comfortable option.
- Safety features: Both rollators have hand brakes to slow and stop the walker. However, the NOVA’s brakes are better suited to people with grip problems because of their light design that needs minimal strength.
- Durability: Both rolling walkers can support a maximum of 250 pounds (113.4kg). The NOVA Traveler is slightly more heavy-duty, with a reinforced frame and durable rubber wheels.
- Adjustability: The handles of both models are adjustable. However, the Carex rollator has a greater range of adjustment. It can fit shorter and taller people than the NOVA model.
- Versatility: Both rollators can work outside, but the NOVA walker is better suited to outdoor terrains. It uses eight-inch (20.3cm) wheels that can navigate bumpy dirt, gravel, and grass.
- Portability: The NOVA Traveler is significantly heavier at 16.5 pounds (7.5kg). Therefore, the Carex 3 Wheel Walker is a better option if you prioritize a lightweight and portable rollator.
- Extra features: Both rollators include a storage compartment. The NOVA Traveler also has a mesh basket and a tray attached to the frame.
For slightly more money, the NOVA Traveler is more durable, comfortable, and better suited to uneven surfaces.
However, the Carex 3 Wheel Walker is more portable and adjustable to different sizes.
Carex 3 Wheel Walker Review Conclusion
In conclusion, the Carex 3 Wheel Walker has excellent maneuverability in all kinds of environments. It is also a highly portable option, with a lightweight but durable design.
However, this kind of rolling walker is not suitable for people who need to take frequent rests or lean their weight on the walker. If you have the strength and balance to drive this rollator, it can be an excellent tool.
Carex 3 Wheel Walker (Click image for more info)
Compared to the NOVA Traveler 3 Wheel Rollator, the Carex 3 Wheel Walker is more portable and accommodates different heights. However, it is less durable and cannot navigate outdoor terrains as easily.