A commode chair (often just called a “commode”) is a type of non-flushing toilet that you can place beside a bed, shower, or couch. These devices are essential for people who have suffered severe injuries, illnesses or cannot move easily because of age.
In today’s article, we’ll take an in-depth look at commode chairs. We’ll answer the question “what is a commode chair?” and discuss the different types. You’ll also learn which brands provide the most reliable models and more.
What Is a Commode Chair?
Commode chairs are medical devices that serve as portable toilets for people who have mobility issues. You can place the commode beside a bed, a couch, a shower, and other places in the house. That way, the person who needs to use them can access them with minimal effort.
These chairs usually include armrests and a removable pail that make getting rid of the waste easier, faster, and more hygienic.
Types of Commode Chairs
Commode chairs are devices that can be extremely helpful for seniors and people in general. However, you need to know which model of commode chair will fit your needs best. Let’s take a look at the different types.
Bedside Commode Chairs
A bedside commode chair is a portable commode that you can place beside your bed for easy access. It is an ideal option for people with reduced mobility, like seniors or people that have suffered severe injuries.
These devices are similar to chairs, but they have a special design with a pot that holds the waste until it’s time to throw it out. There are standard models and bariatric options, and the price will vary depending on which one you need.
Shower Commode Chairs
A shower commode chair is another portable commode that can come in handy for people with reduced mobility. These devices are steady even when placed in the shower or beside it. To maintain stability, they use high-quality materials to create traction between the legs of the commode chair and the bathroom floor.
Transfer Commode Chairs
A transfer commode chair is similar to the other types, but this one has wheels on the bottom of the legs. It looks like a wheelchair but has a pail attached to it to hold the waste until it is time to tip it out. You can easily remove the bucket for a faster cleaning and disinfecting process.
Types of Bedside Commode Chairs
There are different types of bedside commode chairs on the market, and each one provides unique features and benefits.
3-in-1 Commode Chair
A 3-in-1 commode chair is a device that you can use in three different ways. For instance, its primary purpose is to serve as a bedside commode chair, but you can also use it as a raised toilet seat or a safety frame. All you need to do is follow the instructions to remove the pail and place the armrests over or around the toilet.
Drop-Arm Commode Chair
A drop-arm commode chair is a type of bedside commode with an ergonomic design that allows for easier access. The arms of this commode are durable and with a soft handle that you can use to help you sit and get up.
Portable Commode Chair
A portable bedside commode chair is a more compact model made of lightweight components for more accessible transportation. Usually, you can also easily disassemble this type of bedside commode to save space at home.
Bariatric Commode Chair
Major Brands of Bedside Commodes
Drive Medical is one of the world’s leading companies in the healthcare and home care industry. This brand was founded back in the early 2000s and had since been innovating with an ever-expanding portfolio of products.
Today, Drive Medical manufactures medical equipment for healthcare and home care use. Among all of its products, you can find high-quality mobility devices, bedside commode chairs, wheelchairs, beds, respiratory equipment, and so much more.
The company is known for manufacturing devices with innovative designs meant to make your life a lot safer and more enjoyable.
Invacare has been revolutionizing the home care industry since it was founded in 1971. This multinational company is now one of the world’s most popular brands for medical equipment for home and long-term care. Invacare’s products are present in over 100 countries.
It is known for providing high-quality devices at affordable prices. You can find products like wheelchairs, commode chairs, bariatric beds, ambulatory oxygen systems, walkers, and more.
The brand focuses on designing devices that can help people with reduced mobility live a more independent and safer life.
Carex is a company with over 35 years of experience in the health and home care industry. It has ten different brands that specialize in manufacturing and designing innovative products for specific medical purposes. For instance, the Carex brand provides a full line of home care equipment.
The mission of Carex as a brand is to innovate and provide high-quality products that facilitate a safer and healthier life for you and your loved ones. It also offers an online platform to find and buy all of its products from its brands.
Lumex is part of the Graham Fields Company, which specializes in manufacturing all types of medical devices. Lumex is its home care and special seating brand, a name that is synonymous with high-quality products.
This brand focuses on designing the most innovative and comfortable products for home use. That makes it the right option if you want durable and easy-to-use bedside commode chairs.
Additionally, the brand has been around for over 50 years and has an excellent reputation with doctors and other medical professionals.
Medline is a brand that manufactures and distributes high-quality home care and long-term care devices. It is one of the fastest-growing medical supply brands globally and a reliable name for medical equipment.
This company focuses on four critical aspects of health care: Improving care quality, reducing supply spending, increasing medical supply efficiency, and helping medical facilities become the preferred option for patients.
Medline also tries to cultivate an entrepreneurial spirit, working with new talent to create innovative ways of helping others.
Nova was founded in 1993 to make high-quality medical products more accessible for patients. Its products are known to be highly durable, user-friendly, and with outstanding designs.
The company’s goal is to help people with injuries, illnesses, and disabilities live a more independent life. Today, Nova produces various products like wheelchairs, commodes, walkers, canes, and more.
One of Nova’s main benefits is that it has well-trained specialists to help you find the suitable device for you.
Guardian is another home care and long-term care manufacturer that you can find on different online platforms like Amazon or HealthCareSupplyPros. Although it does not have a website, you’ll find its products to be some of the most popular and well-rated options for commodes and other devices.
Pros and Cons of Commode Chairs for Seniors
There are a few advantages and disadvantages to using commode chairs.
- They can help people with severe illnesses or reduced mobility to recover some sense of independence.
- These devices can increase the safety of caregivers, seniors, and people with reduced mobility.
- You can also use it to recover some privacy in your daily life.
- It is a cost-effective solution for many users.
- The devices are lightweight and highly portable.
- They are an excellent option for people in wheelchairs.
- You can easily adjust these devices to your height.
- Commode chairs can be a bit difficult to clean.
- Basic models do not provide good portability.
- Most models require installation.
How Much Is a Bedside Commode?
The most basic commode chairs can cost around 50 USD. Still, if you want a comfortable and durable model, you should consider options that can cost up to 300 USD. These devices offer ergonomic designs with excellent portability.
The price of a commode chair can also vary depending on the type or model. For instance, a bariatric bedside commode chair will cost a lot more than a standard model or even a premium device.
Where to Buy a Bedside Commode?
You can find commode chairs in online retailers and physical stores all around the United States. Some online platforms even allow you to compare the prices among the most reputable brands.
- Amazon: Amazon is the world’s leading online platform for buying and selling products. You can find various items like clothing, electronic devices, and commode chairs.
- eBay: eBay is another online platform that you can use to buy and sell products from different industries. For instance, you can find digital items like smartphones and TVs and other devices like commode chairs.
- Facebook Marketplace: Facebook Marketplace is Facebook’s online platform for selling and buying items. You can use it to find new high-quality products or used models at affordable prices.
- Walmart: Walmart is a retailer with online and physical stores. So, you can choose between finding the product you want in a physical store or have it delivered to your door.
- HealthCareSupplyPros: This online platform allows you to buy and compare prices of the most popular and reliable medical equipment brands. Here, you can find high-quality commode chairs, walkers, beds, and more.
You can find high-quality commodes in your local medical supply or a Walmart physical store. If you want to find a Walmart near you, you should check its store finder platform.
- Bellevue Healthcare: Bellevue Healthcare is an online platform that allows you to rent medical equipment in Washington or certain parts of Ohio. You can find high-quality commode chairs from the most reliable brands.
- ACMobility: ACMobility is an option you have if you reside in Australia. This online platform provides medical equipment for long-term and home care use. You can buy a high-quality device or rent it if you need it for the short term.
Does Medicare Cover Bedside Commodes?
Medicare covers bedside commodes, but only if a doctor determines that it is a necessary device. Once your physician decides that your commode is essential, you have to pay your Medicare part B deductible plus a 20% coinsurance. This coinsurance covers what is known as durable medical equipment.
So, Medicare will cover 80% of the cost of your commode chair as long as you buy it from a Medicare-approved supplier. You also need to have the prescription approved by an American doctor.
Note: You might not pay anything if you have a Medicare Supplement Insurance package. However, that can vary depending on the company you use and the place you buy the commode from.
Buying Guide: Finding the Right Commode Chair for You
Here are the aspects you should consider when buying a commode chair for you or your loved ones:
- Comfort: One of the most important aspects of buying a commode chair is the device’s comfort.
- Portability: Commode chairs are meant to be moved around the house if necessary. That’s why it is essential to find lightweight and easy-to-disassemble models.
- Cleaning: Commode chairs hold the waste until you clean them, and that part of the process can be challenging. You need a device with an easy-to-remove and easy-to-clean pail.
- Type: There are many types of commode chairs that you can choose from. So, ensure that the one you’ve chosen fits your needs or the needs of your loved ones.
Commode chairs are a type of healthcare device that can be very useful for seniors and people with severe injuries or illnesses. When buying one, always consider the portability and comfort of the device. You should also look for a commode chair that is easy to clean and disinfect, as well as easy to use.
The basic models are not expensive, but you can still get them through Medicare as long as you meet the requirements. You should get them from an approved supplier and with a doctor’s prescription.