When it comes to purchasing a mobility scooter for your loved one, you may have a few questions about how to get one, how to get a good price, and avoiding a scam.
A mobility scooter is an important tool for seniors to overcome everyday obstacles due to limited mobility. When walking and getting around becomes difficult, it is important to regain independence from a mobility scooter.
Research studies have found that they even increase social life for the elderly because they can move around more frequently. Another study found that after four months of use, they can feel and be independent, making aging in place or a living facility much more manageable.
Getting a scooter may become difficult, especially when it comes to the cost of it. A new mobility scooter can cost 2,000 dollars, making it a tough item for the wallet. According to the Silver Cross, Medicare can help cover the cost if it is needed.
Can I Buy a Used Mobility Scooter on eBay?
Some turn to eBay to purchase used scooters. This is a viable option, but it is important to get the scooter that fits your needs for your loved one and is cost-efficient for you.
When buying a used scooter on eBay, you can easily find different types of scooters ranging in prices from 700 to 2,000 dollars.
Types of Mobility Scooters Available on eBay
On eBay, you can find the following scooters available for purchase.
- Travel or portable mobility scooter. These scooters can easily fold or be broken down into a few parts to fit into a car or even taken on an airplane. They tend to be very light and the smallest option.
- Three-wheel mobility scooters. Three-wheel mobility scooters are easier to use indoors since they normally have one wheel in the front and two in the back. They can turn tightly and easily fit through smaller spaces.
- Four-wheel mobility scooters. Four-wheel scooters are very stable and have a low risk of tipping. They can go through terrain and outdoor trails, and even can go uphill or downhill quite easily. It is the largest choice out of all three types of scooters.
Used mobility scooters on eBay – tips for getting the best deal
Once you decide to use eBay to purchase a mobility scooter. There are a few tricks to make sure you get the best deal possible.
When you are buying on eBay you should always do the following:
- Read the description thoroughly. By doing this, you can see if the seller guarantees a like-new, fully functioning scooter. You do not want to end up with a scooter that is only for parts or is missing important parts.
- Avoid Auctions. While the auction function may seem like a good option, the price can end up being more than a buy-it-now option.
- Check Shipping. While a scooter may be listed at a low price, the shipping may be way overpriced. Make sure it is either free shipping or a sound price for shipping when purchasing the scooter. You do not want added fees on top of a large price, making it not a bargain at all.
How to Avoid Mobility Scooter Scams on eBay
When you are buying used items on eBay, some sellers are not morally the best or honest. It is important that your bargain shopping does not turn into a headache, or even more costly for your wallet.
According to My Own Wheels, some scam artists will send you a tracking number and only send you a smaller item that you did not purchase, like a watch or a hat.
Thankfully, eBay does protect you from a buyer scam similar to that situation and will refund you. However, the hassle of the purchase is a very difficult and frustrating situation where your money may be tied up for months.
It is important to educate yourself on how to spot any scams before you fall for one.
Check the price
If the price is astronomically low, it may mean that something is wrong with the scooter that they are not telling you about. Make sure you educate yourself on the prices of the scooter you are looking for before falling for a low-price scam.
There may be a problem with the scooter itself, or they will not send you anything at all.
Each seller should have a list of reviews you can read about before buying from them. Make sure the seller is completely trustworthy and has a full list of positive reviews before buying from them.
This helps you know if the seller is selling a good product and is not scamming anyone.
While it may sound silly, if a seller is listing a product without any care for the language they are writing, they are probably not trustworthy.
If a description of a scooter is written poorly or the sentences are fragments, it may be best to move on to another seller.
To help you educate yourself regarding these hoaxes, we have put together a list of ways to spot a scooter scam.
Your loved one must have a high quality of living while they are aging. It is important to have mobility tools handy, like a scooter.
Likewise, when you are looking for a bargain price on a used scooter to save some money, it is important to not get scammed in the process. Make sure to read about the scooter and the seller before an important and large purchase.
Once you find a used scooter at a wallet-friendly price, you can give a mobility scooter to your loved one so they can be as independent as possible.