Purchasing the right hospital bed is challenging, but it's even harder to set it up, especially if you are a first-time buyer. Ideally, hospital beds are heavy and sophisticated equipment that often needs the assistance of more than one pair of hands to assemble correctly. It's even a more complex process for a Medline hospital bed since it comes with unique features.
Nevertheless, you don't have to worry; this article is your perfect guide! It will take you through the assembly process step-by-step and, even better, provide you with some easy-to-follow YouTube assembly videos and links to online manuals.
How to Set Up a Medline Hospital Bed: Step-By-Step
To successfully assemble a Medline hospital bed, it is imperative to religiously follow the following recommended steps:
The Unpacking Process
The Medline hospital bed comes with two boxes whose components include:
The Bed Assembly Process
Before you embark on the assembly process, there are some precautions you should take. For instance, be keen to avoid spinning the pull tube or the motor's shaft. This will damage the frames since all the motors are already set into position during purchase.
The following is a breakdown of the six assembly steps:
- 1Join the head and the foot sections together.
- 2Adjust the bed frame.
- 3Attach the headboard and footboard to the bed frame.
- 4Incorporate the center driveshaft.
- 5Attach the pull tube to the bed's head part.
- 6Attach the bed rails
Interconnecting the Frames
This activity requires two or more people for it to be successful.
- 1The center mounting hooks should be on your right side, with the head spring section on your left.
- 2Lay the foot spring section on its side to your right. Then, attach the head frame pull tube at the foot spring's top. The center mounting rivets should be oriented to the left during this process. As a result, you should have a 90-degree angle between the head spring section and the foot spring section.
- 3To fasten the bed to the frame, attach the top center mounting latch on the head-end section to the top center mounting rivet on the bed's foot-end unit.
- 4Attach the bottom center mounting latch on the bed's head section, with one person holding the top section together. While doing so, hook the bottom center mounting rivet on the bed's foot end.
- 5Carefully open the springs into a horizontal (straight) position after connecting the head and foot springs. The springs must remain on their sides during this activity, and the hooks must always remain engaged with the rivets.
- 6You can now place the bed down with the springs facing upward.
Spring Fabric Interconnection
- 1Lift the head spring portion upward. The bed must remain flat to give the fabric slack. Then, join the spring fabric together using the provided links.
- 2Adjust the bed frame.
- 1Place the two locking casters at a diagonal angle to each other. The bed should be lying flat on the floor during this process. See the above figure.
- 2Each bed leg has a caster socket, where you will insert the caster shaft. You must make sure the stem is well-connected with the socket.
- 3Lock each of the two locking casters by pressing down on the caster lock. This will prevent the bed from moving excessively during the assembly process. However, the bed may still move on wet or slippery floors, even with locked casters.
- 4Pulling up on the caster lock will allow you to unlock the two locking casters.
Headboard and Footboard Installation
- 1The headboard should be as close as possible to the headframe.
- 2Adjust the height of the head frame so that it fits snugly into the corner locks of the headboard. Sometimes, the headboard will need to be inclined slightly backward for the rivets to interlock.
- 3Lock the headboard in place by returning it to its upright position.
- 4The above steps also apply to the foot end section.
Head Spring Extension Tube Connection and Adjustment
- 1Begin by attaching the head extension tube to the head spring motor. This will allow you to move the head section up and down. The attachment between the tube end with the black plastic with the motor shaft must be firm.
- 2Slide the extension tube onto the frame.
- 3Connect the clevis pin and the head spring's lift arm, which will interconnect the pull tube assembly and the lift arm. Then, reattach the grommet and washer, and ensure the cotter pin is tight and secure.
Driveshaft Assembly and Installation
The driveshaft comprises two parts: the inner shaft and the outer shaft. The inner shaft consists of a positioning spring button, while the outer shaft has two positioning holes and a single storage position hole. These two components come together to form the telescoping center driveshaft.
- 1Insert the inner shaft into the outer shaft after depressing the spring button.
- 2Slide the inner shaft into a suitable position.
- 3Ensure you attach either end of the driveshaft to the headboard gearbox, which will connect the shaft to the bed. When using a manual or semi-electric bed, insert the opposite end of the drive shaft into the footboard gearbox. You can do this by pushing it toward the headboard gearbox to shorten it.
Connecting the Junction Box
- 1Line up the cables with the corresponding receptacles on the junction box and push in.
- 2Secure the wiring using a cable securing strap and confirm whether all cables are correctly connected.
- 3As soon as all plugs are in place, use the Cable Securing Strap to secure a patient's hand control to the bed.
Medline Hospital Bed Set-Up Videos (Best Instructional YouTube Videos)
The above tips will come in handy when assembling your Medline hospital bed. However, supplementing the process with YouTube videos will make it way easier. For example, you can check out the following videos when assembling the bed:
Medline hospital bed assembly.
How to build a Medline semi-electric bed.
Medline Hospital Bed Manuals
While there might be lots of recommended steps of assembling a Medline hospital bed, it is always important to stick to the user manual. If you use your manual alongside the above recommended YouTube videos, the process is bound to be much easier. Here are some links to reliable online manuals:
A Medline hospital bed is very effective in the recuperating process of an ailing person. To maximize its benefits, you have to assemble it in the best way possible. The assembly process needs to be systematic, and the above steps are perfectly organized to ensure you do not miss any step. Even better, if you have any problems with the steps, you can always refer to the provided videos and user manuals. With these, you will definitely get it right!