If you're looking for free transportation for seniors in South Dakota, you’re in the right place!
This page is a complete resource for free transportation for the elderly in the state of South Dakota.
Check out the resources below, and if you have a resource to add, please contact us!
Map of Free Transportation for Seniors in South Dakota
List of Free Transportation for Seniors in South Dakota
The Dakota Transit Association was formed in 1985 to address the need for greater communication between transportation providers and to serve as a unified voice for public transportation agencies within the states of North and South Dakota at the national level.
The Division of Long Term Services and Supports does not directly provide transportation services, but awards Older Americans Act funds to local transit systems. Transportation services are provided by nonprofit organizations or local government agencies.
- 1Individuals 60 year of age and older may ride transit systems for a suggested donation.
The transit system was established in 2003 for the purpose of serving the needs of the community. Our ridership is the general public.
- 1The cost is $2.00 per ride (each way). If 60 or older, there is no charge, but your donation is appreciated.
- 2OUR SERVICE RUNS
Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM
DellsXpress is under new management beginning October 1st, 2020. Brookings Area Transit Authority (BATA) has agreed to take over this responsibility.
We are excited about this change and the opportunity for DellsXpress to grow. We hope to make the transition as smooth as possible.
- 1Please remember that scheduling rides is on a first scheduled first served basis.
- 2If 60 or older, there is no charge, but your donation is appreciated.
- 3Rates: Dell Rapids City Limits - $2.00 Outside of Dell Rapids: Call Dispatch for Rate.
- 4Dispatch Service Hours Monday through Friday 7:00am to 6:00pm.
- 5Bus Service Hours Monday through Friday 7:00am to 5:00pm.
Project CAR has 40 years of experience in non-profit transportation in Sioux Falls.
We began as a collaborative transit effort among a small group of agencies and churches focused on serving the needs of senior citizens.
Since that time we have grown to a reliable system of transit for seniors, persons with developmental disorders or medical conditions – any adult whose ability to transport themselves is limited because of health or finances. We offer rides at no cost to the passenger.
Our network includes 15 member organizations, a group of churches, non-profits, and educational institutions. We own a fleet of five vehicles driven by over two dozen volunteers.
- 1We offer rides at no cost to the passenger.
To promote positive aging for adults and to enhance the quality of life for all through programs, services and education.
Active Generations is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting positive aging for adults.
We provide social, physical, educational and outreach programs that enhance our members’ lives and our communities.
Our state-of-the-art fitness center in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, features the latest equipment and exercise programs to promote life-long health.
Over 1,000 Active Generations members volunteer in a variety of ways to assist people throughout our communities.
Joining Active Generations is the proactive way to getting the most out of life.
Workers on Wheels (WOW) is a senior services program supported by the Sioux Empire United Way and administered through Active Generations.
WOW helps with tasks that can be challenging for older adults.
We provide the support seniors need to continue living independently in their own homes.
- 1Services are provided at no cost by volunteers.
Senior Companions of South Dakota is a volunteer program that provides in-home assistance and respite care to older adults and adults with disabilities in more than 50 communities across South Dakota.
Senior Companion activities might include:
- Companionship through visits.
- Meal planning and preparation.
- Light housekeeping.
- Playing cards or other games.
- Reminiscing or just enjoying the friendship of a peer.
Senior Companions of South Dakota is sponsored by The Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society.
- 1We don’t charge a fee for our Senior Companions service.