Adjustable beds are great with a lot of things, from comfort and relaxation to sciatica pain management and acid reflux. One thing that they aren’t great with? Looking natural - they don’t come with a normal bed frame, so there’s a ton of visible space under your bed.
If you want to find a way to cover up all that underbed space, you’ve come to the right spot. This guide will teach you everything you ever wanted to know about hiding an adjustable bed frame!
Why Hide My Adjustable Bed Frame? 3 Reasons You Should Care
Obviously, you don’t need to hide your adjustable bed frame if you don’t want to - there aren’t any rules or societal guidelines about such a small topic as this. But, you should still consider purchasing or making something to cover up your adjustable bed frame for the following reasons:
- 1To Protect the Bed: Using a bedskirt or something similar to hide your adjustable bed frame means that hardly any dust will be able to get near the motor or control box on your bed. That will help the bed run smoother, longer. It’s not going to change your life, but it will help you protect your investment!
- 2Child and Pet Safety: Adjustable beds pose unique risks to children and pets, because they may crawl underneath the bed without your knowledge. You don’t want to flatten your bed with a grandchild underneath! Hiding your bed frame is the best way to avoid this risk.
- 3Aesthetics: This one is simple - if you don’t like the way your bed frame looks when it’s visible, hide it!
How to Hide an Adjustable Bed Frame - 4 Easy Methods
Want to hide your adjustable bed frame? Here are 3 easy ways to do just that!
Use a Bed Frame with a Headboard and Footboard
Most traditional bed frames should be able to accommodate your adjustable bed. As long as the frame has a headboard, footboard, side rails, and can remain stable without needling slats, you can drop your adjustable bed base right inside!
That’s right - you don’t have to choose between an adjustable bed and a stylish bed frame if you don’t want to. Just make sure you measure your bed frame and adjustable base to confirm that they are compatible.
Get a Bed Skirt Compatible with an Adjustable Bed
Bedskirts are the most cost-effective way to hide your bed frame, and many current bedskirts are compatible with adjustable beds! Just grab a bed skirt (you can see our favorites below), place it on your bed, and get back to sleeping!
Cover the Exterior of the Bed Frame with a Decorative Flair
What do we mean by decorative flair? Well, that’s more up to you than it is us - you can use a bench, custom-made side rails, or something completely out there to cover up your bed frame. The point is this: when you want to hide your adjustable bed frame, you aren’t limited solely to what you can buy.
With a couple of good tools and an equally good imagination, you can fashion something that will both hide your adjustable bed frame and accentuate your unique personal style. It doesn’t have to be about style, though - you can also build custom rails for your adjustable bed that add safety to your bed in addition to hiding the frame. It all depends on what you can do with your own two hands.
Use an Extra-Long Sheet to Cover the Empty Space
Don’t want to buy anything new or spend a ton of energy finding a way to hide your bed frame? You’ve still got an option: take two sheets and place them on your adjustable bed base, each halfway on and halfway off the bed, one on the right side and one on the left.
What results looks a lot like a bedskirt or a long tablecloth - a simple and still elegant way to cover up the empty space underneath your bed even when it’s in a “seated” position.
What is a Bedskirt for an Adjustable Bed?
Bedskirts have been around longer than anyone reading this has been alive, but that’s not the case for adjustable beds. They’re a lot newer, and their ability to move up and down in 2-3 different places causes issues with standard bedskirts.
In recent years, though, companies have made sure that some, if not all, of their bed skirts are compatible with adjustable beds. These bed skirts are longer, more flexible, and they can either move with the base when it adjusts or stay put to avoid stretching, slipping, or tearing.
Types of Bed Skirts for Adjustable Beds
Wraparound Bed Skirts
These bedskirts use elastic and hook-and-loop enclosures to grip the part of an adjustable bed base that doesn’t raise or lower, so they stay in place no matter what the bed is doing. Instead of sitting between the base and the mattress, they hook onto the support poles and legs of the bed, so they aren’t dragged up and down when the bed moves.
Three-Piece Bed Skirts
Pretty much exactly what they sound like. These bed skirts come in three pieces: two for the sides of the bed and one for the front of the bed. Each side is attached separately, which allows the bed to move without messing up the bed skirt.
Velcro Bed Skirts
Instead of hook-and-loop enclosures, these bed skirts use velcro to stay in place, no matter what position the bed is in. They’re easy to use, but they’re not quite as effective as wraparounds.
How to Choose a Bedskirt for an Adjustable Bed
When shopping for a bed skirt that will be compatible with your bed, try to make sure it meets these criteria:
How to Put a Bed Skirt on an Adjustable Bed - Step-By-Step
Now that you’ve got your bed skirt, it’s time to get it on your bed. Follow these steps to make sure your new bed skirt is properly attached to your adjustable bed:
- 1Take the mattress off of your adjustable bed. This isn’t required, but it makes the whole process easier.
- 2Stretch the bed skirt around your bed frame, much like you would with the fitted sheet on your mattress.
- 3Locate the hook-and-loop enclosures and fasten them around the poles/legs on your bed frame.
- 4Put the mattress back on the bed and test the bed by moving the bed up and down before you finish, just to make sure there are no snags or mistakes that have been made.
Video: How to Put a Bed Skirt on an Adjustable Bed
Are you a visual learner? Check out one of these videos to figure out how you can easily put your new bed skirt on your adjustable bed:
How to Put a Wraparound Bedskirt on an Adjustable Bed
Best Bed Skirts for an Adjustable Bed: Top 5 Choices
What are the best bed skirts for an adjustable bed? Here are our top picks, check them out and find the one that works for you:
- 3Nestl Pinch Pleated Bedskirt: Looking for a little bit more style in your bedskirt? This pleated model is available in 12 different colors and offers you a little bit more than a flat, smooth aesthetic.
- 4ShopBedding Ashton Bedskirt: This bedskirt is for those who have a taste for the finer things. It’s elegant, simple, and made from a luxurious-looking fabric that is sure to fit with your fine linen sheets and bedding!
Hiding the frame of your adjustable bed isn’t just a good way to preserve your sense of style. It’s also a great way to protect your adjustable bed and the little ones in your house!
Have you hid your adjustable bed frame with another bed frame or a bed skirt? If so, what type of product did you choose? Leave your thoughts in the comments section below!