Drive Medical has a long-standing reputation as one of the best providers of health-focused mobility scooters. The Drive Bobcat, their most affordable option, is no different: it’s light, efficient, and safe for any senior to use!
Review of: Drive Bobcat Scooter
Please click image for more info
What We Like:
- Safe seat
- No frills design
What We Don’t Like:
- Low weight capacity
- Slow, Low range
- Slow charging
Our Conclusion: If you want to get an affordable mobility scooter that performs like many higher-priced models, look no further than the Drive Bobcat scooter!
Features of Drive Bobcat Scooter Review
While you wouldn’t want to try this scooter out on a sandy beach, it still has good tires that provide lots of traction. It’s safe to use on light grass, dry dirt, and gravel- so long as you’re cautious.
Many similar mobility scooters use 6-inch wheels that don’t have much grip. The 9-inch wheels on the Bobcat, however, grip even wet pavement with ease and help you stay safe and upright at all times.
This is one of the biggest drawbacks of a compact mobility scooter; they often just aren’t safe off of the sidewalk. The Bobcat, however, has a sturdy wheelbase and traction enough to take you where you need to go- as long as you aren’t reckless!
Light and Portable
Whether you want to load the entire scooter on a small hitch platform or disassemble it to put in your trunk, this scooter is clearly designed for portability! It’s compact, weighs less than 100 pounds, and separates into light and easy to pick up pieces. If you need a mobility aid that makes it easier to get around once you’ve driven to your destination, this is it!
The lightweight design also makes it a great option for the very elderly or frailer users. It’s very easy to push from behind in freewheel mode. This means you can tuck it away for storage when you’re not using it without having to parallel park! It’s also helpful for situations where you may need to have someone push you in the chair- it’ll roll smoothly and easily!
As mobility scooters increase in use by seniors, companies are adding more and more features. They are getting bigger, more powerful, faster, and heavier. That’s perfect for some, but other seniors just need something to keep them healthy and independent.
If you’re not attracted to the flashier models and instead want a scooter to use around the home and for short trips, the Bobcat is perfect for you! It has almost everything you do need and almost nothing you don’t. Sound system and decorative lights? No. Safe, reliable transportation? Yes!
There’s no way around it: a mobility scooter is a large investment. The most expensive models can cost $5,000- that’s the same price as a decent used car or a luxury cruise! While it is possible to get a mobility scooter for free through Medicare or another program, some people don’t have that option. The Drive Bobcat is very affordable with a price of just under $750, a great choice for people who need to pay out of pocket.
The tricky thing about affordable mobility scooters is that it can be hard to know if you’ll still get a quality mobility aid. Scooters are supposed to improve your quality of life, but a poorly-made scooter is a hassle at best and a hazard at worst! Drive Medical, however, has built a great reputation for safety and quality over the last two decades. This makes the Bobcat one of the best, safest choices for an affordable mobility scooter on the market!
Specifications of Drive Bobcat Scooter
(L x W) 42″ x 19.25″
(W x D) 16.5″ x 13.5″
8″ x 2″ Flat-Free
Battery Weight (pair)
Video Overview of Drive Bobcat Scooter
Pros and Cons of Drive Bobcat Scooter
- Safe Seat: The seat is height adjustable and the armrests are width-adjustable for comfort and stability. The seat also swivels to allow entry/exit to be more like sitting in a chair and less like climbing into a car. This makes it safe for anyone to use without risking pulled muscles or injury!
- Affordable: This scooter is a rather rare combination of high quality and sensible price. If you can’t get your scooter for free, this is a great option.
- No-Frills Design: The Bobcat keeps things simple, and you get the benefits of an ultralight, useful mobility scooter. No paying for extra features you don’t need or want and will never use!
- Ultralight Design: This scooter weighs less than half of what most mobility scooters do, and even less than what most seniors do! This makes it very easy to use in free-wheel mode, easy to store, and easy to transport. It also means that the batteries can be smaller and more efficient- batteries are often the heaviest and most expensive part of a scooter, so this is a big plus!
- Low Weight Capacity: 265 pounds is enough for some, but if you weigh close to that number, you may notice a lack of speed and range.
- Slow, Low-Range: Again, this may not matter for some seniors, but this is a rather slow scooter that needs to be used close to home. It has a top speed of 4 MPH and a 7.5-mile range.
- Slow Charging: This scooter’s batteries take a while to charge. That means, once it’s dead, you’re sidelined for at least a few hours. Take care to plan your day around this and give yourself time to fully recharge the batteries if you have a full day ahead of you.
Who the Bobcat Mobility Scooter is Best For?
Assisted Living/Retirement Communities
If you live in an assisted living or retirement community, using a rollator or walker is fine- but a mobility scooter expands your freedom. You can use it inside and outside to visit friends, take care of errands, and even head to nearby shops or restaurants!
It’s perfect for enjoying the walking paths and community parks that you live close to. You can take short trips out, enjoy a few hours in the fresh air, and head back home- all while staying safe and stable.
Advanced Medical Needs
Large, “speed-demon” mobility scooters are fun, but they aren’t exactly safe for those with severely limited mobility. Seniors over the age of 85, Parkinson’s patients, or people who have lost the use of one arm will enjoy the superior safety of the Bobcat. The swivel seat and low deck height prevent injury when boarding/exiting.
The slower speed and wide base help prevent tipping or other accidents. Lastly, the steering and throttle are very easy to use, even with one hand. It’s a very smart option for people who want/need a simple and safe mobility scooter!
Helpful Links for the Drive Medical Bobcat
- Click to access the Owner’s Manual
- Click here to find Drive Bobcat Replacement Parts
- Click here for help troubleshooting your Bobcat scooter
Top Competitor Product: Metro Mobility Patriot Scooter
This scooter offers many of the same advantages as the Drive Bobcat but has a bit more juice. It can travel 16 miles on a single charge and has a top speed of 5 MPH. If you plan to use your mobility scooter to travel a few miles from home to run errands, you’ll enjoy the quicker trips.
It features a similar swivel seat, the same weight capacity, and thick tires that can also handle light-medium grass. One advantage it has is a bright LED headlight that makes it safe for seniors with low vision and those who want to ride at night. The Bobcat is missing that feature, and although you can attach headlights to it, it should be a standard across all scooters!
On the downside, you’ll have to spend a bit more money to get this scooter than you would for the Bobcat. But, if you consider the upgraded range and speed, this might be worth it for you! Additionally, it has a higher deck, making it difficult for seniors with limited leg movement to use.
- Double the range of the Drive Bobcat and 25% more speed
- Tight turning radius of 43 inches, great for indoor use
- LED headlight for those who will ride at night
- Safe for 8-degree inclines, more than most scooters can handle
- Lacking in storage space
- High deck is tough for some to use
- Seat doesn’t adjust as well for tall users
Shoplet’s Drive Bobcat Scooter Review
Conclusion: Drive Medical Bobcat Scooter
Whether you’re looking for a short-term option or your first long-term mobility scooter, the Bobcat from Drive Medical has a lot to offer. It’s incredibly light, portable, and is loaded with health-conscious features.
Want to know more about this scooter, or have an unanswered question? Have any suggestions or tips you can share as a proud Bobcat owner? Let us know in the comments section below! We’d love to hear from you!
Drive Bobcat Scooter (Click image for more info)